Hello Blog, My Old Friend

July 31, 2014


What is there to be said when you abandon a space you once loved for 227 days? Obviously, not much of an excuse. But enough people have emailed me that I thought it was worth posting about, for those of you that do still check in, and that are curious.

Simply put, I've been blogging in some shape or form since 2003, and I was tired. What originally gave me a place to be inspired, to look forward to, to make great friends off, became a chore. A funny thing happens when you have a couple of posts go viral - it's exciting because FINALLY you feel like it's paid off to see people enjoying the work you created.

But that's the very opposite of what happened.

Rather than this being a positive, happy space for me, it became a place where I was constantly having to let criticism roll off my back. You can only let so much criticism roll off.

"Your clothes are boring, try some color."

"There is no way you pack like that, you must be doing this just for show."

"Who dresses like this?"

And while those who know me well know that I am actually true to my word, taste, and preference for neutrals (and I'm a pretty damn good suitcase packer, too) those who don't were really starting to get me down.

I tip my hat to the big time, multi million page view bloggers who hourly handle these people who spout off so easily on the internet what I am certain they would never say to someone's face. I am not built that way.

But here I am, and I am reclaiming this as MY space. I may or may not post regularly, and I will not make any promises.

I kindly ask that if you don't like what you see, move right along. I'll be blogging for me, and this girl is open to constructive criticism but I will not stand for meanness.

IMAGE VIA EMERSON FRY

17 Comments:

  1. I missed your blog and your words. You have a great eye, I love your style and you give awesome tips. Having had the pleasure of meeting you in "real life" I think you're the bee's knees. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you back! I can understand why you would feel that way as I would certainly have a hard time with all that negativity as well. Hope the nastiness stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! I love your style and the packing posts were very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited to see a post from you! I discovered your blog at a time where I was (well, still am) making the transition to honing in my style and choosing quality over quantity. I've done a few blog reader purges but always kept yours in feedly hoping you'd resurface. It's such a bummer about the negativity. But know that you have fans as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Glad to see you back - I am so sorry you have had to put up with the meanness that is called the cloak of the internet. But please be assured that you have some fans :) so happy that I saw you pop up on my blog feed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jessie, I'm so glad you stuck around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lori, happy to hear you enjoyed those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a "you really should wear color" comment on my blog last week. Ugh. I like my neutrals! #grayforlife

    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a similar one too. I'm not all the way to neutral land like you ladies are but I wish I was. I think both of you always look so chic. Not boring, or drab or anything but put together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is new to me (hi!) and I LOVE your style! Seriously, neutrals don't have to be drab. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks lady, I'm just appalled at what people have to say to others. So many rules to follow, opinions to be considered. I'm just doing me, and so are you. I admire you for getting up and photographing it all, I seriously don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover