MINDFUL SPENDING - SEPTEMBER

October 9, 2012

It never fails, not a week goes by that I don't get some sort of email asking me about the items featured on my blog, and how I manage to purchase them all. The answer's always very simple - I don't! Much like I appreciate an amazing painting or a well designed building without actually buying it, I look to the fashion world for creative inspiration also. When the perfect color of leather comes together with a great piece of hardware and well crafted construction, well, that's art to me too. If you begin to think of fashion as art, you can understand why you see so much of it here. At the end of day, beauty is what it comes down to for me.

That being said, we all buy things. Beginning in August, I began a journey to only fill my closet with things that I really love. Not just something I like, but things that are either useful or really intrigue me. At the same time, I'm still losing weight, and I'm not ready to purchase investment clothing. That's why I'll only spend big on items like handbags and shoes, where I truly believe you get what you pay for in longevity and comfort.

When I saw Katie's posts here and here on Modern Eve about spending, and being upfront and honest with both herself and her audience about where she spent her money the previous month, I had to jump in. I'm a real person with a real budget, just like you, and my discretionary funds are not unlimited.

In September, I spent more than I usually do on clothing for two reasons - fall clothes are finally out and starting to go on sale, and it's fall here all year long, temperature wise. Seriously, you should see my April - August purchases, clothes-wise. They're virtually non-existant.

The second reason is that as part of the Big Purge of my closet, I got very lucky to sell the majority of my items I wanted to part with on Poshmark. From the proceeds of my closet, I not only managed to pay for an unexpected bill, a plane ticket home for the holidays, but I was able to buy a few things I had my eye on that I know will be versatile pieces for me for the next few months. I even managed to buy a handbag that I've wanted for years, at a deeply discounted price.

Below is a catalog of what I bought. Please don't consider this a "haul" type of post, as its not to be viewed as such. I'm striving to be both mindful in my own spending while showing you guys what I actually put my own money down for, that's been featured here.



C. Wonder Notebook  |  Dorothy Perkins Leather Trim Tee, Striped Sweatshirt, Studded Grey Sweater, and Leather Sleeve Ivory Sweater (all purchased during their big Fashion Week 25% off sale  | Rebecca Minkoff iPad case - via Nordstrom Rack  |  ASOS Fox Belt  |  JewelMint Lioness Bracelet  |  Dorothy Perkins Black Metal Keeper Belt  |  Marc by Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran in Burgundy - via Poshmark at 50% off the regular retail price  |  Kohl's Black Jacket with Faux Shearling Trim (I broke my only buy leather rule here for an exceptionally good fake that was affordable while I'm still changing sizes)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover